Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Puppet tested

April 9, 2014

I did a basic movement with several of the parts to make sure that it would work alright and it does!! Very happy about it!! I need to make folders though when I make the bigger file with all the characters interacting so that it will be easier. You can just click on any of her limbs and transform them to where you want them to be and I think that's great.

It's really fun for me to do this because it's still drawing but it isn't constant drawing which is what I really want I think. I like to incorporate multiple mediums into my work usually.

This is my favorite piece that I've watched by Lotte Reiniger. She's a really amazing woman who made films with her husband and even continued while fleeing from nazi Germany. She also made a full length animated feature years before Disney although she is never credited. 

She made the Adventures of Prince Achmed in 1926 and used some color technology in her animations before most people. She was really ahead of her time, but her work didn't get distributed much in the United States. 


You can watch the whole movie online, and as far as cutouts goes she pretty much already had the entire technique down in the 1920's, not much has changed about it since then except now you can move them in computer programs. I think her work is really beautiful and that's why I want to make my own silhouetted animations. I also really like Kara Walker's show, it's really interesting and it was fun to write a paper about in art history.

No comments:

Post a Comment